Find out more about MSF's operations, mission, and it's principles.
MSF is one of the largest independent medical humanitarian organizations in the world, with projects located in 65 countries worldwide. MSF's work is based on the humanitarian principles of medical ethics; the goal of MSF is to provide emergency care to people who are affected by armed conflicts, epidemics and natural or man-made disasters.
MSF is looking for his/her Human Ressources Coordinator - Based in Sanaa, YEMEN.
OCP had been constantly present in Yemen since 2007, with an intervention in Sa’ada governorate related to the wars between the Yemeni government (Saleh/Islah) and AH (2004 – 2010). Since then, OCP’s main areas of intervention were providing emergency care (Trauma Center in Aden) and supporting the access to health care (Amran primary and secondary care in collaboration with MoH).
The coordination team is based in Sanaa.
The logistic base of Djibouti as well is being ran by OCP for all sections including of which includes the plane management, national and expat staff transit and the overall supply.
All OCs are operating in Yemen.
MAIN PURPOSE of the HRCO position :
Define, adapt, plan and supervise the implementation of human resources policies in the Mission, ensuring they are in line with the context, the operational challenges and the strategic HR.
Being a strategic partner to Operations contributes to the definition and implementation of the mission’s objectives and ensures the HR capacity required, sizing and improving people capabilities, contribution and active participation in order to achieve mission goals effectively. This will be done according to MSF human resources vision and values.
Is responsible of ensuring that MSF is a Responsible employer in the mission, supports proper management of HR across the board and assumes full responsibility of all Administrative and legal issues in the Mission.
• Is an active member of the Mission Coordination Team (MCT), contributing to the mission’s objectives definitions and missions strategic plans.
• Is responsible for all human resources management and administrative issues of the whole mission, ensuring they are aligned with legal requirements, HR vision and Responsible Employer frame
• Ensures alignment of mission’s objectives with HR institutional objectives beyond the mission (related with future HR capacity of the organization such as supporting development of staff beyond missions roles, promoting spaces to train new staff (first missions) or staff under development plans, detachment, etc…)
• Contributes to planning and definition of Human Resources in the Mission, analyzing local capacities and supporting on identifying the optimum team set-up to properly achieve Mission’s objectives and identifying key indicators in order to follow up the results, and revise the HR plan accordingly.
• Provides advice and technical expertise to the Mission Coordination Team, in order to design job profiles, organisational charts and decision-making channels.
• In close collaboration with the Mission Coordination Team, plans HR operational and budget needs in order to efficiently ensure the required HR sizing and capabilities of the mission. Is responsible for the follow-up of the HR budget and plan and accountable for both
• Defines HR strategies at mission level to ensure the mission counts with the capacities and competences needed, in the short, mid and long term (recruitment, remuneration, management and learning development plans).
• Defines local policies defining or adapting MSF standard policies to the mission. Ensures implementation of all HR Policies and Management Guidelines.
• Ensure that local and regional staff in the Mission is properly recruited and that all staff is managed according to MSF HR vision, policies and values, and provides support and technical advice to MCT in order to grant fulfilment and coherence.
• Identify the best source of recruitment according to the needs and objectives of the mission as well as define recruitment strategy based on the analysis of labour market with the objective of recruiting professionals and people with potentials to develop within the mission/organization
• Supports and coach as an Expert all MCT members in their role of people’s managers
• Is the responsible and technical referent for HR and Administration related issues at Mission level (recruitment, management and development of teams, contracting of national and regional employees’, remuneration of local and regional staff, etc.).
• Is responsible and supervises all human resources and administration team in capital
• Ensure the proper implementation of the New Billan throughout the Mission, providing technical support to the coordination team and the Administration Managers in implementing and detecting training needs, in accordance to operational requirements, in evaluating people performance and in implementing the associated action plans in order to improve people’s capabilities and their end results contribution to mission goals.
• Define, approve and/or coordinate the implementation of career development programs to high potential collaborators in order to increase long term commitment and contribution.
• Define and coordinate the local implementation of a fair rewarding policy in the Mission in accordance to MSF policies and local regulations checking monthly calculations of salaries and taxes, in order to ensure internal equity, adequate competitiveness and legal compliance.
• Define and coordinate the internal communication policy, in collaboration with all field coordination teams, organising personnel meetings and broadcasting MSF values and vision, in order to boost people commitment, active participation and adherence to MSF values.
• Ensures systematic briefings and induction of all staff in the Mission (International, National and Regional).
• Supervise administrative processes for all staff and manage conflicts when they appear, in order to ensure labour legal compliance and to improve employer branding awareness.
• Ensure a good knowledge of labour market: in terms of profiles available, level of qualifications, specificities, lead or request labour market studies and benchmarking studies.
• Is responsible to make sure that Internal regulations and all HR related policies, procedures and administrative documents (i.e. employment contracts, payslip, etc.) are within the national legal framework.
• Promote internal (interprojects ) and external (intermissions) mobility of key staff identified and support the development of plans to ensure mobility .
• Develop the mission mobility policy according to the needs and the context and in respect with policies and standards.
• Ensure, in close collaboration with the medical team, the implementation of safety/security/medical protocols in order to ensure healthy and risk-free working conditions for all staff in the Mission.
• Provide expertise to coordinators/supervisors/activity managers on how to manage HR ( team management, conflict management, stress early detection, communication, meetings…)
• Detect potential conflicts among Mission staff and intervenes directly in conflict solving when necessary and/or possible. Is responsible to look for a viable solution in case a direct intervention is not possible.
• Make sure that cases linked to behavioural issues are prevented, detected and managed.
• Is responsible for the correct use of HR Systems in the Mission and systematically ensures the quality of data and the monthly closing.
• Ensure, in close collaboration with Logistics department, that all international and internal movements in the Mission are properly managed (visas, tickets, per diem when necessary, dates of arrival/departure, etc.), and ensures proper accommodation conditions (i.e. room, food, etc.) by informing all relevant people/departments.
• Reports on HR indicators to MCT and managers in order to feed decision making, planning and fine tuning of mission’s and project’s strategies
• Ensures proper end of assignment, debriefing and capitalization of experiences at mission level and shares it with HR Department.
• Represents MSF in meetings with Authorities and other NGOs for HR or Administration related issues.
Context Specific Accountabilities
There are currently 6 projects in Yemen:
The HR team is currently composed by: HRCO, PAM, HRCO Assistant, Training Officer and Admin Transit
An HR Support will join the team from March and for 6 months, mainly to work on MoH mapping, policies and procedures, but also to support in other specific dossiers as the DW management.
Safe and bank signatory responsibility (This Specific Task Transferred to the HRCO due to the FINCO position covered by the National staff)
There is a new HR strategy 2022 – 2025 which includes LD strategies; These are:
1) Improve collaboration with MoH and volunteers
2) Put in place an adapted HR emergency respone strategy ready to be deployed in of need
3) Review the mision team structure and team composition to ensure continuity of activities and encourage professional development
4) Support the professional development of the key national staff of the mission
5) Ensure that L&D activities that are put in place respond to the medical operational priorities
2 years minimum in human resource management and supervising a team, with a minimum of 1 year experience at an HR coordination position in a humanitarian NGO.
Languages : English B2; knowledge of Arabic is a definite plus.
1 year. Position to be held as soon as possible as considering that visa takes 2 months.
Sanaa based, with frequent field visits. No family mission.
Possibility to start the position remotely / working at home while waiting the visa deliverance.
Salary status according to previous professional experiences in INGOs.
transportation, lodging and a monthly per diem.
Insurances: medical health coverage, repatriation.
Nationality restrictions: Israel, USA, UK.
Some nationalities can face difficulties to get a visa (India, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Lebanon, Pakistan, Syria, KSA,UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, Morocco, Jordan, Egypt and Sudan).